Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I’ve Lost Interest in Lost

I’ve been hearing the occasional commercial about “Lost” returning on January 31 in a two-hour premier.

And I really don’t care about it.

There are a few reasons for my lack of interest. The last season didn’t seem to be as intense as the first, and the suspense was missing. They introduced many new characters and the “Others”, which only seemed to make the show centered more on people than on the mystique of the island itself. And then, there were the frequent flashbacks, which became tiring after a while. I think the flashbacks are what I first liked about the show, but I soured on them later as the show seemed to spend more and more time flashing back than with the present story. It’s nice to have a bit of a back story on the characters, but too much back story can set the story back.

There also seems to be very little buzz going on about the show. It seemed that between previous seasons, the hype continued so one couldn’t wait for it to start up again. But, with the end of this last season there was…nothing. Maybe it’s not out there, maybe I just didn’t have any interest in going to look for it. But when the buzz dies, that’s when I can tell that a show is near the end.

And speaking of the end, how disappointing was the end of the last season? Somehow, I felt like I had just been robbed. The season had virtually no answers and the story seemed to stall, but the ending seemed to shift the story a little too far forward for me. Was it supposed to be a flash-forward? If so, I think I am getting really confused with all this time shifting.

I’m also not sure what happened with the dynamics between the characters, but something was missing last season. It got to the point where I didn't care about what happened to anybody on the island. Hopefully this season they will cut lose some of the “dead wood” and get back to the core characters and the core story…whatever the core story is supposed to be!

I’m not sure if it’s going to be worth my time to watch Lost when it premiers. But, I will probably succumb when I realize that there may not be much else on TV at that time. If I do watch the premier, and if it doesn’t move the story forward in an interesting or suspenseful way, then the show will LOSE me as a viewer.



Check out my blog home page for the latest information,
HERE!

No comments: